Monday, June 16, 2008

Gemalto SIM STK

I found that Gemalto sell excellent development kits that allow developers to develop applications that run on SIM cards. These applications can be downloaded on the SIM cards and can perform powerful functions like intercept primitive radio messages and send data to other servers. Amazing stuff! Because these applications reside on the SIM card, they can run on any phone. No more special operating systems, and applications build for the Blackberry or iPhone only. The same application runs on all phones. Now any-one can build an application and download it on their SIM card.
Only problem is the cost ot the development software. Why do Gemalto sell the software? What are they thinking? Surely by distributing the software for free, more people would see the benefit and utility of the SIM card?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm, what's the point? Even if it is free, unless it is "hosted" by a network operator you may not realize how it behaves. (Gemalto Simulators are not the solution!)

My point is there is a bigger problem ahead with deploying SIM based solutions.

Unknown said...

I second you tollyhood, developing an application that will end up into a MNO walled garden does not make sense at all..

Curro said...

Hello!

I downloaded the evaluation software from Gemalto. I developed a simple application for a SIM card, it only shows a menu, I tested it on the simulator but I want to test it on a real device, I don't understand clearly how to load it on the device, can I use a standard SIM card reader or should I buy one from the ones that Gemalto sells, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Curro said...

Hello!

I downloaded the evaluation software from Gemalto. I developed a simple application for a SIM card, it only shows a menu, I tested it on the simulator but I want to test it on a real device, I don't understand clearly how to load it on the device, can I use a standard SIM card reader or should I buy one from the ones that Gemalto sells, any help would be greatly appreciated!

xydelprice said...

hello all/curo

can you give URL for get this evaluation software from gemalto?

thanks